Today is day four. I am remaking my sourdough starter. When I had my leg injury, I stopped caring for my starter and it died. A few months ago I thought I would take a shortcut and buy King Arthur’s starter. Unfortunately, I forgot that this starter was alive and needed to be fed withing a week. When I opened the jar, I found the starter was beyond hope. Silly me. I decided to remake my starter the old fashion way.
It is an easy process. There is yeast in the air and in larger quantity in whole grain rye flour. Using my $10 scale, I measured 113g rye flour and 113g water. Mixed it carefully. I keep the starter in the oven. My new oven has a bread proofing setting at 95⁰. It is like an incubator.
By day two I was starting to have a few bubbles. On day three I had good activity. Now I am feeding the starter twice a day. My routine is to discard 113g starter and add 113g all purpose flour plus 113g water. This process goes on for about a total of five days. After that I will store the starter in the refrigerator and feed it once a week.
My starter’s name is Bob. He is alive and needs to be fed and given care. One of my favorite recipes is for my sourdough English Muffins. They are easy to make and much better than store bought.
I can judge my wellness by my baking. If I am having a bad time with increased flare activity, I bake very little. As I feel better I do more, it is a good sign.
Talk to me